By Not Known

It is now just over a month since I had heart surgery. Since coming home, I have been walking daily along a 660m track within our HDB estate.  Along the track there is an exercise station, and on the instruction board these words are included I suppose, as an encouragement to exercise-needy residents like myself:  

“If you add a little to a little, then do it again, soon the little will be much.” (Hesiod- 8th Century BC Greek poet).  

It is a necessary reminder that progress is often made gradually and this is particularly true recuperating after a major operation. Immediately after surgery on 11 Jan, I was in a High-Dependency Ward for two days. Then as I recovered, I was transferred to a normal ward. There I was instructed to do breathing and stretching exercises, then slowly walked around the room on my own. It was like learning everything all over again! Even simple actions like getting in and out of bed, walking the few steps to the toilet, brushing my teeth – all these actions were laboured and painful because they affected my chest area. Coughing or sneezing was especially painful as it caused the chest to stretch suddenly. My left arm was noticeably weaker than my right, probably because a vein which was used for the bypasses was taken from there, leaving a 20 cm scar. I had to move slowly and deliberately, often needing help.  But gradually the tubes and stitches were removed and I was able to go home on 15 Jan evening – what a relief!

My family and I are so thankful that God has preserved me. As we recounted that harrowing week from the angiogram on 7 Jan till I was discharged, we recognised God’s good hand sustaining and encouraging us in many ways. Even though it was a critical, emotional period, we were assured that He was walking with us and even carrying us. One of the nurses in the High-D ward even prayed with us just before the operation! She was very upfront about her faith – such an encouragement.

Having been home now for about a month it is good to know that the doctors are happy with my progress. I am still walking/jogging daily, and have even tried hitting a tennis ball against a wall at my void deck! Little by little I believe I will be restored to full health by God’s grace.

My family and I have been touched by the kind expressions of concern from the ORPC family, whether by sms, emails, hampers, cards or visits. Your encouraging words and gestures have lifted our spirits – we thank you for your support.  I am on medical leave till mid March, but God willing, may try some light duties from early March – please pray that I will steadily recuperate during this “compulsory pit-stop”.


Graham Ng