ADVISORY ON CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019, COVID-19
(20 MARCH, 8PM)
Suspension of ORPC Sunday Worship Services on 22 and 29 March
Dear ORPC members and friends,
ORPC Session has decided to suspend physical gatherings for Sunday Worship on 22 and 29 March. This decision was prayerfully made after considering the following factors:
- Over 100 COVID-19 cases confirmed in Singapore over the last 3 days, with over 70% being imported cases.
- Sharp increase in cases globally, with over 250,000 confirmed cases and over 10,000 deaths.
- Stricter safe distancing measures, including immediate suspension of all gatherings with 250 or more people, implemented by the Singapore government on 20 Mar to reduce the risk of further local transmission of COVID-19, especially for vulnerable segments of the population.
- Heightened risk from imported cases due to ORPC’s city location and international profile.
- Critical that the transmission of the virus is broken in the next two weeks due to influx of overseas returnees.
As Christians, we are a people of faith, not of fear. Whatever social distancing we do, it is done as an act of faith and not of fear. As we did for 2 weeks in February, we have decided to suspend our physical worship services now out of love and compassion for our neighbours and to protect those among us who are vulnerable. We are committed to cooperating with the authorities that God has placed over us in a concerted effort to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.
Even as we suspend physical worship, let us continue to worship together in spirit, through our recorded or livestream worship services at https://www.orpc.sg/happenings/announcement/orpc-sunday-worship-service-online. We also remember that church is a people, not a place. Let us continue to meet in our small groups, with appropriate social distancing measures, to worship, to study God’s Word, to spur one another on toward love and good deeds, especially during these difficult times.
Yours in Christ,
ORPC Pastors and Leaders